Re: Slow Vacuum was: vacuum output question

От Dan Armbrust
Тема Re: Slow Vacuum was: vacuum output question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Dan Armbrust" <daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com> writes:
>> INFO:  "cpe": found 415925 removable, 50003 nonremovable row versions
>> in 10849 pages
>
>> What on earth could be going on between PostgreSQL 8.1 and Fedora 6
>> that is bloating and/or corrupting the indexes like this?
>
> You're focusing on the indexes when the problem is dead table rows.
>
> It's very hard to believe that there's any OS dependence as such
> involved in that.  I wonder whether (a) the Ubuntu and Fedora packages
> you're using are the same 8.1.x point release; (b) if there's any
> interesting non-default behavior built into the Ubuntu packaging
> ... like running autovacuum automatically, for instance.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

In our testing, Postgres 8.1 was build from source (PostgreSQL website
source) on both systems.  No Distro packages involved.

Believe me, we are as baffled as you.  We have been chasing this bug
off and on for months on a couple of different customer sites now.

Thanks,

Dan