Re: Slow Vacuum was: vacuum output question

От Dan Armbrust
Тема Re: Slow Vacuum was: vacuum output question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>> INFO:  "cpe": found 95498 removable, 18757 nonremovable row versions
>> in 11117 pages
>> DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
>> There were 280173 unused item pointers.
>> 0 pages are entirely empty.
>> CPU 5.35s/0.99u sec elapsed 724.38 sec.
>>
>> Then, running vacuum again immediately afterword, on a system that was
>> basically idle, would result in nearly the same amount of time to
>> vacuum the table.
>
> You do realize that except for the end of a table, vacuum recovers no
> actual space, just makes it available for new tuples to move in there.
>  So it makes sense that the second vacuum would take just as long, or
> nearly so.

Yep.  The real issue is that it took 724 seconds, instead of say, a
half second - like it does on my system.  I wasn't sure if I should
expect vacuum to take longer to run when it finds a large number of
tuples that it needs to make available, so I just have them run it
twice so I can easily compare the time that it takes with essentially
no work to do.

> Hard to say.  Have them run
>
> vmstat 1
>
> while vacuuming and see what bi/bo look like.

Haven't looked at that yet on this particular system.  Last time, on
different hardware when this occurred the vmstat 'wa' column showed
very large values while vacuum was running.  I don't recall what the
bi/bo columns indicated.

top also showed very high load averages while vacuum was running - but
basically no cpu use.

Are there any common tools that could do a better disk benchmark than
hdparm -Tt?

Thanks,

Dan