Re: make install getting slower

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: make install getting slower
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/4/18 12:31 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> best of three of
> time make -s install INSTALL=/bin/true
>
> 9.3: 1.53s
> 9.4: 1.55s
> 9.5: 1.90s
> 9.6: 2.10s
> 10: 2.45s
> 11: 2.81s
> master: 2.99s
>
> Obviously a part of that can be explained by the tree getting bigger,
> but that can't be all of it.
>
> It also gets a bit worse if LLVM is enabled (due to the bitcode files
> getting installed), but that's "just" 0.3s for me. We should optimize
> that for fewer install invocations / using cp, but that seems seperate.
>
> I think this also has gotten more pronounced with newer OS versions, as
> the overhead of the spectre/meltdown mitigations have increased the cost
> of syscalls and forks.
>
> Obviously this doesn't terribly matter for actual installations, but I
> do find it fairly annoying when running regression tests...

Wouldn't using -j option with make help this?

JD

> Greetings,
>
> Andres Freund

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****