Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)

От: Florian Weimer
Тема: Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Fragmentation of WAL files  (Jim Nasby, )
 Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Bill Moran, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Heikki Linnakangas, )
   Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Bill Moran, )
    Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  ("Craig A. James", )
     Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Gregory Stark, )
      Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Tom Lane, )
    Re: Filesystem fragmentation (Re: Fragmentation of WAL files)  (Florian Weimer, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Fragmentation of WAL files  (Greg Smith, )

* Bill Moran:

> To clarify my viewpoint:
> To my knowledge, there is no Unix filesystem that _suffers_ from
> fragmentation.  Specifically, all filessytems have some degree of
> fragmentation that occurs, but every Unix filesystem that I am aware of
> has built-in mechanisms to mitigate this and prevent it from becoming
> a performance issue.

One database engine tends to create a huge number of fragments because
the files are written with holes in them.  There is a significant
impact on sequential reads, but that doesn't matter much because the
engine doesn't implement fast, out-of-order B-tree scans anyway. 8-/

I still think that preallocating in reasonably sized chunks is
beneficial.

--
Florian Weimer                <>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99