Re: Data migration from version 7.2.1 to 8.1.5

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Data migration from version 7.2.1 to 8.1.5
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Arindam <arindam.mukerjee@gmail.com> writes:
> I tried dumping data in tar format using the pg_dump utility (with
> version 7.2.1) and restoring it using pg_restore utility (with version
> 8.1.5). But on running this command:

> pg_restore -d mydb -C -u <my_dump_file>
> I get the following error:
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.10) in file header

It looks to me a whole lot like you got it backward, ie, used the 8.1
pg_dump and then tried to restore with the 7.2 pg_restore.

Now you *should* be using the newer pg_dump to dump from the old
database --- that's considered good practice.  But you need an
up-to-date pg_restore to read its output.