Re: can we use PQstatus for knowing connection status

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: can we use PQstatus for knowing connection status
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
HK <harikrishnan@midascomm.com> writes:
>     I am using libpq for connecting from a C program to postgres
> 7.1.3. And i am using asyncronous query processing. Suppose i sent a query
> and while processing is on, the postmaster is stopped (for simulating a pg
> crash). Now if i use the PQstatus (conn) i am unable to get the actual
> status. It still says the connection is OK. Then how can we detect the pg
> crash.

You can't, in most scenarios, except by issuing a query and having it
fail.  PQstatus will go to CONNECTION_BAD when libpq detects loss of
connection ... but it wouldn't be very reasonable or useful to have the
library constantly pinging the server to verify the connection is still
up.