Re: Block-level CRC checks

От Florian Weimer
Тема Re: Block-level CRC checks
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Gregory Stark:

> I've also seen single-bit errors caused by bad memory in a network interface.
> *Twice*. Particularly nasty since the CRC on TCP/IP packets is only 16-bit so
> a large enough ftp transfer would eventually finish despite the packet loss
> but with the occasional bits flipped. In these days of SAN/NAS and SCSI over
> IP that's pretty scary...

I've seen double-bit errors in Internet routing which canceled each
other out (the Internet checksum is just a sum, not a CRC, so this
happens with some probability once you've got bit errors with a
multiple-of-16 periodicity).

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99