Function Speed vs UI Function Speed

От Susan Hurst
Тема Function Speed vs UI Function Speed
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is there a significant difference in execution speed between similar
functions that do the same DML but differ in the extra validations and
messaging that are required for providing feedback to UI users?

For example, a batch load script that inserts multiple rows into a table
may call an insert function within a cursor to populate each row into
the target table. Meanwhile, a non-technical business user may want to
create only one entity via a UI. However, the UI must have validations
and helpful messages to to user so the insert works....or won't, but at
least user would know what they need to do differently to get to a
successful outcome.

Typically, the teams that I've worked on typically create the bare
functions that will get the job done but later we have to come back and
make new functions specifically for UIs. BTW....I'm a firm believer in
having the database protect itself and not totally depend upon the
application layer to protect data. Anyone with database access can
bypass a UI and still corrupt data unintentionally (incomplete WHERE
clause, for example).

Now I wonder if it would be prudent to create the UI ready functions
only and use those same functions for batch loads or any other process
that needs to be done in bulk. I'm not sure about the performance impact
of that.

Any insights or ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Sue