Re: Overflow hazard in pgbench

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Overflow hazard in pgbench
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> ... according to the C99
> spec this code is broken, because the compiler is allowed to assume
> that signed integer overflow doesn't happen, whereupon the second
> if-block is provably unreachable.  The failure still represents a gcc
> bug, because we're using -fwrapv which should disable that assumption.
> However, not all compilers have that switch, so it'd be better to code
> this in a spec-compliant way.

BTW, for grins I tried building today's HEAD without -fwrapv, using
    gcc version 11.1.1 20210531 (Red Hat 11.1.1-3) (GCC)
which is the newest version I have at hand.  Not very surprisingly,
that reproduced the failure shown on moonjelly.  However, after adding
the patch I proposed, "make check-world" passed!  I was not expecting
that result; I supposed we still had lots of lurking assumptions of
traditional C overflow handling.

I'm not in any hurry to remove -fwrapv, because (a) this result doesn't
show that we have no such assumptions, only that they must be lurking
in darker, poorly-tested corners, and (b) I'm not aware of any reason
to think that removing -fwrapv would provide benefits worth taking any
risks for.  But we may be closer to being able to do without that
switch than I thought.