Re: [GENERAL] Some questions about oid's and sequences.

От James Olin Oden
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Some questions about oid's and sequences.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Howdy:
>
> I am coming from the Windows world, and Microsoft SQL variants in
> particular.  Both Access and SQL Server have autoincrement data types --
> I understand that Postgresql has "sequences" which do the same thing,
> but I can't find any documentation on them.  I have browsed all the
> online documentation that comes with Postgresql, and can't find anything
> about it.  Could someone point me to some docs that would explain how to
> use sequences?

man create_sequence

> I have a similar question about oid's.  I am not sure what they are --
> from their name, I would guess that they are autoassigned, unique
> identifiers for each row in a table.

Yes.  oid stands for Object I.D.  Remember postgress is documented in an
object oriented way.  The tables definitions is called the "class" from which
the "objects" (records) are instantiated.

> Is that correct?  If so (or even
> if not), how do I create and use them.

They are created automatically.  To access them type:

  select oid from blah;

> Any documentation that addresses
> oid usage specifically?

don't know.  I kind of picked up the info from the list.

> I am confused because oid's seem to be to
> substitute for the BLOB data type which is available in other RDBMS's.

No they are not even close to the same thing.

Hope this helps...james