Re: can disks be read only?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: can disks be read only?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
mikeo <mikeo@spectrumtelecorp.com> writes:
>   we wish to have a database that is history so we
> want to make the disks read only after loading.
> would this cause any problems with POSTGRES?

In theory you could do it given that you vacuum the tables
before locking down the files.  (The vacuum is needed to
ensure that on-row commit status bits are up to date.)

In practice you'd likely have problems with the minor detail
that md.c opens everything with O_RDWR privilege requests.
You could probably do a quick hack to try O_RDONLY if
O_RDWR fails...