Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/src/backend/postmaster postmaster.c
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Now back to reality.  I think passing in the noun phrase as you suggested
> should be okay:

I'm happy to do it that way if you prefer, but I'm a tad baffled as to
why it solves anything other than word-order issues.  Seems like the
inflection issues are still there.

> It loses some elegance, but it should allow grammatically sound
> translations.  (Okay, we assume that all languages allow for parenthetical
> notes, but that is not a matter of grammar.)

What I'm intending is to pass in the noun phrase and the PID, allowing
the translatable messages in the subroutine to look like
%s (pid %d) exited with status %d

A variant would be to pass in the adjective for "process":
%s process (pid %d) exited with status %d

Does that seem better, worse, indifferent?  If the inflection issues
reach to the root noun but not the adjectives, methinks that might
work better.