Re: postmaster locks up in 7.1b3

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: postmaster locks up in 7.1b3
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Paul A Vixie <vixie@vix.com> writes:
>> As far as Postgres is concerned, there's no deadlock here, only a slow client

> that could be true if we used explicit locks.  all our accesses are of the
> form "learn everything you need to know to do the transaction, then open the
> database, do it, and close".  there are some really long SELECT's (which make
> dns zone files) but they can't block unless the file system is blocking the
> write()'s in the client, which would only happen in NFS, which we don't use.

Well, my point was that it could happen just on the basis of the
*implicit* read lock grabbed by a SELECT.  All you'd need is a client
that's stuck partway through a transaction for some external reason.
However, it sounds like you've taken care to avoid that possibility,
so the theory does seem shaky.