Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL

От Randal T. Rioux
Тема Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, September 9, 2008 5:25 am, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Randal T. Rioux napsal(a):
>> I've battled this for a while. I'm finally breaking down and asking for
>> help.
>>
>> If you're answer to this is "why 64-bit" then don't answer. You wouldn't
>> understand. Same if you say "why don't you use packages."
>>
>> Here is my scenerio:
>>
>>  - Sun 420R x450Mhz UltraSPARC-II / 4GB RAM
>>  - Solaris 10 05/08
>>  - OpenSSL 0.9.8h
>>  - PostgreSQL 8.3.3
>>  - GCC 3.4.6
>>  - GNU Make 3.81
>
> Three questions (yeah, you forbided ask, but ...)

grumble grumble grumble...

> 1) Why 64
>
> 64bit code on SPARC is slower, because SPARC uses 4byte instructions and
> processing 64bit data needs more instructions. It is good only if you
> need more then 4GB share memory. When you use sunstudio compiler with
> best optimization 64bit application has 1%-5% performance degradation.

A. Many databases use more than 4GB share memory.
B. Re: SunStudio - that's why I'm using GCC.

> 2) Why you don't use package
>
> You can use Solaris'es packages, which are integrated and optimized for
> Solaris.

Which are bloated with stuff I don't need and missing stuff I do. Not to
mention terribly outdated.

> 3)  Why you don't use build-in libssl?
>
> Integrated libssl is not only copy of original open ssl. It has lot of
> improvements and it uses crypto hardware accelerator if you have it (for
> example Niagara 2).

But it is 32-bit.

Thanks,
Randy