Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: POC: rational number type (fractions)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I disagree with this and instead lean more towards the side that Robert
> and Jeff were taking in that this would be a useful extension and
> something we should consider including in core.  I disagree with Tom and
> Noah, specifically because, if we add this capability then I see our
> potential use-cases as increasing and therefore getting more individuals
> interested in working with us- to potentially include new contributors
> and possibly committers.

FWIW, I'm entirely in favor of having this available as an extension.
But I'm not in favor of it being in core.  I'm afraid it will end up
like the geometric types, i.e. a backwater of not-very-good code that
gets little love because it's not in line with the core competencies
of a bunch of database geeks.  If it's a separate project, then we
could hope to attract interest from people who know the subject matter
better but would never dare touch the PG backend in general.  There's
also the whole project-management issue that we have finite resources
and so we can *not* afford to put every arguably-useful feature in core.