Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: document pg_settings view doesn't display custom options
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

<mailto:john.naylor@enterprisedb.com><mailto:john.naylor@enterprisedb.com <mailto:john.naylor@enterprisedb.com>>>
wrote:
>      >
>      >     Starting separate threads to keep from cluttering the TODO list thread.
>      >
>      >     Here's a patch for the subject, as mentioned in
>      > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20201027220555.GS4951%40momjian.us
>      >
>      >
>      > I just realized I introduced a typo, so here's v2.
>
>     +   The <structname>pg_settings</structname> view does not display
>     +   <link linkend="runtime-config-custom">customized options</link>.
>
>     This is true until the module that defines the customized options is loaded,
>     but not after that. No? For example, pg_settings displays
>     pg_stat_statements.max after pg_stat_statements is loaded.
>

> True, how about this:
>
>     The <structname>pg_settings</structname> does not display
>     <link linkend="runtime-config-custom">customized options</link>
>     that have been set before the relevant extension module has been loaded.

I guess that someone can misread this as

     customized options that have been set before the relevant extension
     module has been loaded are not displayed even after the module is loaded.

So what about the following, instead?

     The pg_settings does not display customized options until the extension
     module that defines them has been loaded.

Also I think this note should be in the different paragraph from the paragraph
of "The pg_settings view cannot be inserted into or deleted from...." because
they are different topics. Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao