Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc

От Kevin Wooten
Тема Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
By “streaming a column” I assume you mean large bytea columns? If so, I say… hell yes.

Also,..

== Binary type coercion ==
      The biggest impediment I’ve run into is the fact that PG will not attempt coercion on binary types.  If you
specifya binary type in the protocol, that’s the final word.  A better system would be to have PG perform the same
coercionit does for text types and then send the results back with coerced types, in binary; finally falling back to
textwhen binary cannot be produced.  This would solve almost every issue we have had to work around in the “ng” driver.

== Unbound binary results ==
      Being able to send a query, without the parse & bind step, that returns binary results.

== Better cursor support ==
      Providing capabilities that better match JDBC.  PG is pretty close but a few cases make cursors not work as
expecteda lot of the time.

I could probably come up with a bunch more but these are the big ones that jump out at me.

I have a couple solutions (with no idea how to implement them)...

For "binary type coercion” & “unbound binary results” a simple setting flag telling PG that we basically know how to
handleall the binary types would suffice.  In this flag was set PG could just start returning stuff in the fashion we
wantand it would helpfully “just work”.

For streaming it seems a sub mode, similar to the copy protocol, that doesn’t force us out of the transaction but can
sendus multiple packets would really help.  Although I know there are many factors at work on the server that I
definitelydon’t understand.

> On Jul 6, 2015, at 5:14 AM, Dave Cramer <davecramer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been actively maintaining the driver off and on since 1999 or so. Recently we have had a flurry of activity
andone of the things I noticed was the surprise that PostgreSQL didn't support X or did Y in some unexpected way.
Sometimeswe are a bit too complacent, and accept things the way they are.

От: Dave Cramer
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc
От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL gaps wrt to java, and jdbc