Re: Question about using ICU

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Question about using ICU
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 10:02 +0200, Paul Förster wrote:
> I have a general question about the use of ICU. Currently, we have PostgreSQL compiled
>  from source (Linux) without ICU support. All database clusters and databases are UTF8
>  and of course relying on glibc.
>
> With the sooner or later upcoming glibc release 2.28, there will probably a big reindex
>  operation be necessary. To avoid that, I'd like to use ICU.
>
> Compiling --with-icu into the new software, is there a way to make a whole database cluster
>  and all its databases use an ICU without having to manually change all tables or indexes?

There have been efforts to add this functionality:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/5e756dd6-0e91-d778-96fd-b1bcb06c161a%402ndquadrant.com
but it didn't get done.

Your best bet is to manually change the definition of all columns to use the new collation.
psql's \gexec may help.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe