Re: change column length, is it that hard?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: change column length, is it that hard?
Дата
timestamp timezone problem  (<operationsengineer1@yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-novice
Ron Arts <ron.arts@neonova.nl> writes:
> One of the tables contains a field username character varying(16)
> that needs to become varying(40), so just a little longer.

The traditional solution to this is to hack the pg_attribute.atttypmod
value for the column.  I *strongly* recommend practicing on a scratch
database before you do this for real --- wrapping the whole thing in a
transaction so you can roll it back is a good idea, too.

> NOTICE:  rule _RETURN on view ox_deps depends on table contact column username
> NOTICE:  view ox_deps depends on rule _RETURN on view ox_deps

If you've got dependent views then you need to think about whether their
output column types need to change too.