Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies
Дата
Re: CREATEROLE and role ownership hierarchies  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Jan 24, 2022, at 2:21 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> Superuser is a problem specifically because it gives people access to do absolutely anything, both for security and
safetyconcerns. Disallowing a way to curtail that same risk when it comes to role ownership invites exactly those same
problems.

Before the patch, users with CREATEROLE can do mischief.  After the patch, users with CREATEROLE can do mischief.  The
differenceis that the mischief that can be done after the patch is a proper subset of the mischief that can be done
beforethe patch.  (Counter-examples highly welcome.)

Specifically, I claim that before the patch, non-superuser "bob" with CREATEROLE can interfere with *any*
non-superuser. After the patch, non-superuser "bob" with CREATEROLE can interfere with *some* non-superusers;
specifically,with non-superusers he created himself, or which have had ownership transferred to him.

Restricting the scope of bob's mischief is a huge win, in my view.

The argument about whether owners should always implicitly inherit privileges from roles they own is a bit orthogonal
tomy point about mischief-making.  Do we at least agree on the mischief-abatement aspect of this patch set?

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Replace uses of deprecated Python module distutils.sysconfig
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: btree_gist into core?