UniqueKey v2

От zhihuifan1213@163.com
Тема UniqueKey v2
Дата
Re: UniqueKey v2  (zhihuifan1213@163.com)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

David and I had worked the uniquekey stuff since 2020[1], and later it
is blocked by the NULL values stuff. Now the blocker should be removed
by Var.varnullingrels, so it is time to work on this again. During the
past 3 years, we have found more and more interesting usage of it.

Here is a design document and a part of implementation.

What is UniqueKey?
-----------------

UniqueKey represents a uniqueness information for a RelOptInfo. for
example:

SELECT id FROM t;

where the ID is the UniqueKey for the RelOptInfo (t).  In the real word,
it has the following attributes:

1). It should be EquivalenceClass based. for example:

SELECT a FROM t WHERE a = id;

In this case, the UniqueKey should be 1 EC with two members
- EC(EM(a), EM(id)).

2). Each UniqueKey may be made up with 1+ EquivalenceClass. for example:

CREATE TABLE t(a int not null,  b int not null);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on t(a, b);
SELECT * FROM t;

Where the UniqueKey for RelOptInfo (t) will be 2 ECs with each 1 has 1
member.

- EC(em=a), EC(em=b)

3). Each RelOptInfo may have 1+ UniqueKeys.

CREATE TABLE t(a int not null,  b int not null, c int not null);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on t(a, b);
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX on t(c);

SELECT * FROM t;

Where the UniqueKey for RelOptInfo (t) will be
- [EC(em=a), EC(em=b)].
- [EC(em=c)]

4). A special case is about the one-row case. It works like:
SELECT * FROM t WHERE id = 1;
Here every single expression in the RelOptInfo (t) is unique.

Where can we use it?
--------------------
1. mark the distinct as no-op.  SELECT DISTINCT uniquekey FROM v; This
  optimization has been required several times in our threads.

2. Figure out more pathkey within the onerow case, then some planning
  time can be reduced to be big extend. This user case is not absurd, I
  run into a real user case like this:

  CREATE TABLE small_t (id int primary key, b int, c int .. u int);
  CREATE INDEX ON small_t(b);
  CREATE INDEX ON small_t(c);
  ..

  SELECT * FROM small_t s
    JOIN t1 on t1.sb = s.b
    JOIN T2 on t2.sc = s.c
    ..
    JOIN t20 on t20.su = s.u
  WHERE s.id = 1;

  Without the above optimization, we don't know s.b /s.c is ordered
  already, so it might keep more different paths for small_t because of
  they have different interesting pathkey, and use more planning time
  for sorting to support merge join.

  With the above optimization, the planning time should be reduced since
  the seq scan can produce a ordered result for every expression.

3. Figure out more interesting pathkey after join with normal UniqueKey.

  CREATE TABLE t(id int primary key, b int, c int);
  CREATE INDEX on t(c);
  ANALYZE t;

  explain (costs off)
  select t1.id, t2.c from t t1
    join t1 t2 on t1.id = t2.b
    and t2.c > 3
  order by t1.id, t2.c;

                    QUERY PLAN
  Sort Key: t1.id, t2.c   <---  this sort can be avoided actually.
  ->  Nested Loop
        Join Filter: (t1.id = t2.b)
        ->  Index Only Scan using t_pkey on t t1
        ->  Index Scan using t1_c_idx on t1 t2
              Index Cond: (c > 3)

  *Without knowing the t1.id is unique*,  which means there are some
  duplicated data in t1.id, the duplication data in t1 will break the
  order of (t1.id, t2.c), but if we know the t1.id is unique, the sort
  will be not needed.  I'm pretty happy with this finding.

4. Optimize some group by case, like

  SELECT id, sum(b) FROM t GROUP BY id
  is same with
  SELECT id, b from t;

  I'm not sure how often it is in the real life, I'm not so excited with
  this for now.

How to present ECs in UniqueKey?
--------------------------------

I choose "Bitmapset *eclass_indexes;" finally, which is because
Bitmapset is memory compact and good at bms_union,  bms_is_subset
stuffs. The value in the bitmap is the positions in root->eq_classes. It
is also be able to present the UniqueKey which is made up from multi
relations or upper relation. I'm pleased with the EC strategy because
the existing logic would even create a EC with single members which
means we don't need to create any EquivalenceClass for our own. for
example, in the case of

SELECT DISTINCT pk FROM t;

a EquivalenceClass with single member is created.

How to present single row in UniqueKey
-------------------------------------

I just use a 'Index relid', an non-zero value means the
RelOptInfo[relid] is single row.  For the case like

SELECT * FROM t WHERE id = 1;
The UniqueKey is:
- UniqueKey(eclass_indexes=NULL, relid=1)

during a join, any unique keys join with single row, it's uniqueness can
be kept.

SELECT t1.uk, t2.a FROM t WHERE t2.id = 1 and any-qual(t1, t2);
- UniqueKey (t1.uk)

more specially, join two single row like:

SELECT * FROM t1 join t2 on true where t1.id = 1 and t2.id = 2;

the UniqueKey for the JoinRel will be:
- UniqueKey(eclass_indexes=NULL, relid=1)
- UniqueKey(eclass_indexes=NULL, relid=2)

However, the current single row presentation can't works well with Upper
relation, which I think it would be acceptable. See the following case:

SELECT count(*) FROM t1 JOIN t2 on true;

How to maintain the uniquekey?
-------------------------------
the uniquekey is maintained from baserel to join rel then to upper
relation. In the base rel, it comes from unique index. From the join
relation, it is maintained with two rules:

- the uniquekey in one side is still unique if it can't be duplicated
  after the join. for example:

  SELECT t1.pk FROM t1 JOIN t2 ON t1.a = t2.pk;
  UniqueKey on t1:  t1.pk
  UniqueKey on t1 Join t2:  t1.pk

- The combined unique key from both sides are unique all the times.
  SELECT t1.pk , t2.pk FROM t1 join t2 on true;
  UniqueKey on t1 join t2:  (t1.pk, t2.pk)

Some other operations like DISTINCT, GROUP BY can produce UniqueKey as well.

NULL values
-----------
I added notnullattrs in RelOptInfo, which present if these attributes may
not be NULL after the baserestrictinfo is executed. not-null-attributes
may be generated by not-null constraint in catalog or baserestrictinfo
(only) filter. However it is possible become NULLs because of outer
join, then Var.varnullingrels is used in this case. see
'var_is_nullable' function call.

To simplify the UniqueKey module, it doesn't care about the null values
during the maintaining, which means it may contains multi NULL values
all the time by design. However whenever a user case care about that,
the user case can get the answer with the above logic, that is what
'mark-distinct-as-noop' does.

How to reduce the overhead
----------------------------------
UniqueKey employs the similar strategy like PathKey, it only maintain
the interesting PathKey. Currently the interesting UniqueKey includes:
1). It is subset of distinct_pathkeys.
2). It is used in mergeable join clauses for unique key deduction (for
the join rel case, rule 1). In this case, it can be discarded quickly if
the join has been done.

To avoid to check if an uniquekey is subset of distinct clause again and
again, I cached the result into UnqiueKey struct during the UniqueKey
creation.

Since our first goal is just used for marking distinct as no-op, so if
there is no distinct clause at all, unique key will be not maintained at
the beginning. so we can have some codes like:

if (root->distinct_pathkeys == NULL)
return;

This fast path is NOT added for now for better code coverage.

What I have now:
----------------

The current patch just maintain the UniqueKey at the baserel level and
used it for mark-distinct-as-noop purpose. including the basic idea of

- How the UniqueKey is defined.
- How to find out the interesting pathkey in the base relation level.
- How to figure out the unique key contains NULL values.

Also the test cases are prepared, see uniquekey.sql.

Some deep issues can only be found during the development, but I still
like to gather more feedback to see if anything is wrong at the first
place. Like what role will the collation play on for UniqueKey.

Any thought?

Thanks.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvrBXjAvH45dEAZFOk-hzOt1mJC7-fxZ2v49mc5njtA7VQ%40mail.gmail.com