Re: Having trouble restoring our backups

От Bryan Murphy
Тема Re: Having trouble restoring our backups
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Bryan Murphy <bmurphy1976@gmail.com> wrote:
I've read through the PITR documentation many times.  I do not see anything that sheds light on what I'm doing wrong, and I've restored older backups successfully many times in the past few months using this technique.  I have no explanation for why all of a sudden my last few backups are not restoring properly and we've not changed anything on our database setup recently.

I'm currently creating a full backup of our primary database and will build a second warm spare with that, but the additional pressure this puts on our system is not acceptable as a long term backup solution.

FYI, for future reference for anybody else who runs into this problem, it appears we somehow lost the pg_clog files during the last time we took a full snapshot of our primary database.  Our PITR spare was happily recovering wal files, but when I tried to bring it up it was missing the pg_clogs and it's literally been weeks since I last tried to do this (stupid on my part).

We appear to have repaired our PITR based backup by copying the missing pg_clog files from our production database which thankfully still had them.  I do not know how they got dropped from the last snapshot we took, but we'll be looking into our hot-spare building process to see what we can do to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks,
Bryan