Re: Add support for data change delta tables

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Add support for data change delta tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/15/24 4:40 AM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> PostgreSQL is not a project where somebody says, you will do this, and
> you will do this, in this and this priority. There are a lot of nice
> features from standard - SQL standard is big, but a) you have to have
> funds to pay the developers, b) you have to have developers with free
> time who want to do free work. Sure, you can write a proposal, but
> without a) money or b) your hard work is not a big possibility so your
> proposal will be implemented in the next few years. With the patch the
> situation is different. Then developers can see, so it is possible to
> implement, and how much code (and work) needs it.

And in this scenario, the big thing that a patch provides is clarity on
what you're actually trying to accomplish. Your original ask is frankly
as clear as mud to me - I have no clue what the syntax you showed is
supposed to be doing.

If you were to ask about something concrete in plain English (vs some
unspecified SQL syntax) then you'd be much more likely to at least get
some kind of response about your idea. It's certainly possible to
convince people on -hackers to work on something that you'd like to see
done, but the base prerequisite for that is you have to communicate what
you're actually looking for.
--
Jim Nasby, Data Architect, Austin TX