Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.

От Ron
Тема Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 6/20/23 09:54, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2023-06-19 16:09:34 -0500, Ron wrote:
>> On 6/19/23 12:15, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>      On 2023-06-19 07:49:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
>>          On 6/19/23 05:33, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
>>              So (again, as Francisco already wrote) the best way is probably to write
>>              a simple proxy which uses the database (not DNS) name for routing. I
>>              seem to remember that nginx has a plugin architecture for protocols so
>>              it might make sense to write that as an nginx plugin instead of a
>>              standalone server, but that's really a judgement call the programmer has
>>              to make. Another possibility would of course be to extend pgbouncer to
>>              do what the OP needs.
>>
>>          How would this work with JDBC clients?
>>
>>      Same as with any other client, I guess. Any reason why it should be
>>      different?
>>

>> That goes to my ultimate point: why would this work, when the point of a
>> database client is to connect to a database instance on a specific port like
>> 5432, not connect to a web server.
> Consider this scenario:
>
> You have several databases scattered across several hosts and ports:
>
> db1  host1.example.com:5432
> db2  host1.example.com:5433
> db3  host2.example.com:5432
> db4  host3.example.com:5432
>
> Then you have your proxy/gateway/bouncer (whatever you want to call it)
> listening on proxy.example.com:5432.

Proxies/gateways are great. My question is about why you mentioned nginx.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.

Сообщение: Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.
Сообщение: Re: Question: Multiple pg clusters on one server can be reached with the standard port.