Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers

От Gavin Flower
Тема Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/09/16 05:01, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 8/16/16 3:39 AM, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
[...]

>> All of this seems very platform specific, too.  You have
>> Windows-specific code, but the rest seems very Linux-specific.  The
>> dstat tool I had never heard of before.  There is stuff with cgroups,
>> which I don't know how portable they are across different Linux
>> installations.  Something about Solaris was mentioned.  What about the
>> rest?  How can we maintain this in the long term?  How do we know that
>> these facilities actually work correctly and not cause mysterious problems?
[...]
I think that we should not hobble pg in Linux, because of limitations of
other O/S's like those from Microsoft!

On the safe side, if a feature has insufficient evidence of working in a
particular O/S, then it should not be default enabled for that O/S.

If a feature is useful in Linux, but not elsewhere: then pg should still
run in the other O/S's but the documentation should reflect that.

Cheers,.
Gavin