Looking for tips on improving full-text search quality in Postgres

От Bayer, Samuel
Тема Looking for tips on improving full-text search quality in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all -

When I have a need for both sophisticated database querying and full-text search, I'd rather not stand up a technology
stackwith multiple tools (e.g., Postgres and Apache Solr, or Postgres and ElasticSearch with a zomboDB bridge). So I've
beenlooking at the Postgres full-text search capability, and comparing it to Apache Solr. My experience so far - which
hasnot been entirely anecdotal, but hasn't amounted to a formal TREC-style evaluation - is that Postgres full-text
search,in any ranking/normalization configuration I can create, is reliably worse than Solr. Now, I understand that the
wholepoint of Solr is search, and this is a sideline for Postgres, but I'd like to figure out how close Postgres can
get,and while I'm knowledgeable about search technologies, I'm not an expert. And I've looked for information on the
Webabout comparing Postgres search to other search capabilities, and everything I've found so far is extremely basic.

Does anybody have any pointers to resources (people, sites, journal articles, blogs, etc.) which are deeply
knowledgeableabout this comparison?

Thanks in advance -
Sam Bayer
The MITRE Corporation