Re: Question related to partitioning with pg_partman

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Question related to partitioning with pg_partman
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 3/8/24 00:23, sud wrote:

> Starting a new thread...
>
> Something interesting and not sure if its expected behaviour as below.
> We are also confused a bit here.
>
> In the below example we created two partitioned tables on timestamptz
> type columns with different time zones and the child partitions are
> created appropriately with boundaries as one mid night to next mid night
> of a day and so on. But when we change the time zone and query the  data
> dictionary views again, it shows the start and end of the partition
> boundary as not midnights but different times of the day's values.
>
> So I was wondering if this can cause us any unforeseen issues in the
> long run while creating the partitions though partman and persisting the
> data into the tables from the end users then querying those and having
> queries properly partitioned pruned?
> or
> should we always set the local timezone as UTC always before running or
> calling the pg_partman/pg_cron process which creates the partitions?
> Mainly in a database which serves global users sitting across multiple
> timezones. And same thing while inserting data into the table, we should
> use UTC timezone conversion function. Can you please confirm.

'2024-03-07 00:00:00+00' and '2024-03-06 19:00:00-05' are the same time
as is '2024-03-07 00:00:00-05' and '2024-03-07 05:00:00+00'.

Still I would think for sanity sake you would want to stick with UTC.

> And while checking the timezone using the "show timezone" function it
> shows the local timezone, so is there any way to see postgres DB the
> server timezone?

show timezone is the currently set server timezone.

select reset_val from pg_settings where name = 'TimeZone';

would show you what the value would be reset to, e.g it's 'default
value. For more information do:

select * from pg_settings where name = 'TimeZone';

to see where the 'default' is set.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: Help diagnosing replication (copy) error
Сообщение: Re: Help diagnosing replication (copy) error