Re: postgres oracle emulation question

От Lonni J Friedman
Тема Re: postgres oracle emulation question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:30:29 -0800, Dann Corbit <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> 1.  Excellent stability

Not in my experience.

> 2.  Excellent scalability

Well, its an 800lb gorilla, so it starts off with enough momentum.

> 3.  Superb toolset

Used sqlplus lately?

> 4.  After-market support products abound

I suppose, if you like spending money on that sort of thing.

> 5.  Stable, debugged access tools like the ODBC/OLEDB/.NET drivers
>
> On the downside:
> 1.  $$$!!!
> 2.  Installation is bad, even for a simple client.

Actually the installation is one of the few things that isn't too
painful.  Sure it ain't as simple as postgres, but its miles easier
than DB2.

> 3.  Reinstallation/upgrade is always a nightmare.
> 4.  God help you if your Oracle home should ever get moved or you move
> to a different disk drive.
> 5.  Multiple OCI DLLs are sure to bring lots of intriguing surprises.

No DLLs on my Linux or Solaris boxen, but i've had problems aplenty
with oracle's hackjobs pretending to be shared objects.

> On the whole, it's not terrible if you can afford it.

For what they charge (and that's ignoring support fees) it should &
could be a hell of a lot better.  But this thread is a touch off topic
around here.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org