Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

От Harald Armin Massa
Тема Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jonah,

Um, shared_buffers is one of the most important initial parameters to
set and it most certainly cannot be set after startup.

Not after startup, correct. But after installation. It is possible to change PostgreSQL.conf (not ini, to much windows on my side, sorry) and restart postmaster.

Because a lot of good assumptions can be made on the initial install.
Likewise, some of the most important parameters cannot be tuned after
startup.

Yes. These assumptions can be made - but then they are assumptions. When the database is filled and working, there are measurable facts. And yes, that needs a restart of postmaster, that does not work on 24/7. But there are many databases which can be restartet for tuning in regular maintainance sessions.

> :) which gives nice graphics and "optimized", like those Windows Optimizers.
> :)  I am sure, some DBAs in BIGCOMPs would be thrilled :)

>I'd suggest that you not make snide remarks about someone else's
>design when your own analysis is somewhat flawed.

Sorry, Jonah, if my words sounded "snide". I had feedback from some DBAs in BIGCOMPs, who said very positive things about the beauty of pgadmin. I saw some DBAs quite happy about the graphical displays of TOAD. I worked for a MVS Hoster who paid BIG SUMS to Candle Software for a Software called Omegamon, which made it possible to have charts about performance figures.
So I deducted that people would even be willing to pay money for a GUI which presents the opimizing process.

That idea of "tune PostgreSQL database after installation" also came from the various request on pgsql-performance. Some ask before they install; but there are also MANY questions with "our PostgreSQL database was running fast untill xxxx", with xxxx usually being a table grown bigger then n records.

And I really did not want to discredit the idea of properly configuring from the start. Just wanted to open an other option to do that tuning.

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare