Re: news: pg12beta4 upgrade steps

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: news: pg12beta4 upgrade steps
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 9/13/19 3:47 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:39:42PM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> On 9/12/19 10:57 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1972/
>>> => PostgreSQL 12 Beta Release Notes
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/release-12.html
>>> => 404
>>
>> That's on me with the website display. I did s/devel/12/ and it's now fixed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I wonder about this part?
> https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1972/
> |To upgrade to PostgreSQL 12 Beta 4 from Beta 3 or an earlier version of PostgreSQL 12, you will need to use a
strategysimilar to upgrading between major versions of PostgreSQL (e.g. pg_upgrade or pg_dump / pg_restore).

> I was happy to find that beta3 and 4 have same catalog, but that text seems to
> be technically wrong.
>
> $ git log REL_12_BETA3..REL_12_BETA4 src/include/catalog/catversion.h

That's the typical boilerplate I've used to upgrade between betas since
catalog changes happen often enough during the beta period. If you came
from an earlier beta, you may need to perform a full pg_upgrade (though
I have not checked explicitly for a catalog version bump while writing
this).

I do try to give enough time for people to comment on the press
release[1] before it goes out over the wire (not as much for beta 4 as
usual) for discussion on things like this. Once it's out, unless there
is an egregious error that can put databases at risk (or simple URL
updates), the probability of the copy changing is small.

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6d4caf03-5432-2151-2169-6a997c390e61%40postgresql.org