Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

От Steven Schlansker
Тема Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Jun 26, 2013, at 3:29 PM, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

>> How about, when Kevin's driver is ready:
>>     • recommending the existing driver for JDBC3 and earlier
>>     • and Kevin's driver for JDBC4 and greater?
>
> Why not just create a 'pre-JDBC4 branch for the current official one and import Kevin's as JDBC4, for going forward?
WhatI've read seems to indicate a reluctance to make a whole whack of changes on the current code, so putting it over
toa branch shouldn't cause to much angst, should it?

Because currently the fork has zero adoption and no momentum, whereas the existing driver has a huge install base of
peoplewho expect to continue to receive updates going forward.

Not that it couldn't ever be the main branch, but I think you guys are jumping the gun by a lot.  And I'm even a fan of
doingthe cool new shiny stuff.

The existing driver is tried and true, and I think for a project of PG-JDBC's stature it's going to take a lot more
thanan alpha driver codebase to switch the project over like that.