RE: using tables as types in other tables

От Michael Ansley
Тема RE: using tables as types in other tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general

I went over this ground about six months ago, and the bottom line is: until somebody picks this up and sorts out the code (which suffers from bitrot) it's not going to work like you described (believe me, I tried).  Put the addresses in a single table, with foreign keys from each other table that you need.  What you may decide to do is forward- rather than reverse-reference, possibly even with a resolution table between the address table, and the actual entity tables:

client >-----|

vendor >--------< address_mem >-----< address

employee >---|

This uses sub-typing, which SQL doesn't deal with very well, but it's an idea.  Of course, if you carry it a step further, and use PGs inheritance, then you can make life a little easier for yourself:

                             /--*client
                            /
                           /
address >-----< address_ent-----*vendor
                           \
                            \
                             \--*employee

where address carries a foreign key to addressable_entity, or something.  I haven't thought this one through particularly hard, but this is what these facilities are for ;-)

Cheers...

MikeA