RE: Fw: [PHP] Fooling the query optimizer

От Michael Ansley
Тема RE: Fw: [PHP] Fooling the query optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Running this query:

"SELECT * WHERE col3 = x"

with a btree index on (col1, col2, col3) cannot be performed in an efficient manner, in any database, because you have specified the column order to be col1, col2, col3.  If somebody claims that MySQL can do this, they're misunderstanding the problem, and/or solution, or there's some fudging going on by somebody.

Imagine the index to look like this:

col1    col2    col3
1       1       1
1       1       2
1       1       3
1       1       4
1       2       1
1       2       2
1       2       3
1       2       4

and a query which says "SELECT * WHERE col3 = 4".  Now what order are you going to traverse the index in?  Remember that you can only use col3, and have to binary search (btree index).  If you binary split the index, then you have one 4 in one half, and one four in another, i.e.: it's not going to work.

If MySQL claims it can do this, then the only way that I can think that they are doing this is by creating extra or separate indices behind the scenes, which is inefficient, and not particularly user friendly.  Of course, they may have used GiST to create a special index for this ;-) and gotten it working, but I doubt it.  Btree indices are by far the most common with simple data.

For any btree index, the index can be used to the point where the index columns and the filter columns diverge, IN ORDER, e.g.: if your index is over columns a, b, c, d, and you filter on a, b, d, e, then the index can be used, only over columns a and b, though (not d!!).  In the example cited, the first column in the index is not used in the filter, and so the complete index has to be ignored, i.e.: seq scan.

Cheers...

MikeA