RE: Object features of pg

От Michael Ansley
Тема RE: Object features of pg
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Is anybody using the object features of PG?  We're busy evaluating databases for some prototyping projects, and relational, object and OR databases are all in the mix.  What I'm trying to do is to see how closely PG can match the object functionality of an object database.  I'm dead against going with an object database because I feel that the functionality that they provide is quite limiting.  In fact, you can't really do anything with an object unless you instantiate it, which is fine in some applications, but when you trying to process thousands of rows per second, it rather limiting.  Any views and opinions of people who have done (or tried to do) this would be most welcome.

Cheers...

MikeA

PS. Is anybody else having problems with the pgsql-general list, because I've sent about three messages to it, and it hasn't appeared.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ansley [mailto:Michael.Ansley@intec-telecom-systems.com]
Sent: 03 October 2000 14:44
To: 'Peter Mount'
Cc: 'pgsql-sql@postgresql.org'
Subject: RE: [SQL] Object features of pg

Hi, Peter,

I suspected as much of the querying, but I can't even get data into the tables.  I tried this:

insert into client values ('Michael');
insert into address values ('11 Windsor Close, 'RH16 4QR');
INSERT 18935 1
update client set address = 18935 where name = 'Michael';
ERROR:  Attribute 'address' is of type 'address' but expression is of type 'int4
'
        You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

So that didn't work, and I tried casting the oid, but that didn't seem to work either.  Any ideas?

Cheers...