[GENERAL] Rsync to a recovering streaming replica?

От Igor Polishchuk
Тема [GENERAL] Rsync to a recovering streaming replica?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,
I have a multi-terabyte streaming replica on a bysy database. When I set it up, repetative rsyncs take at least 6 hours
each.
So, when I start the replica, it begins streaming, but it is many hours behind right from the start. It is working for
hours,and cannot reach a consistent state
so the database is not getting opened for queries. I have plenty of WAL files available in the master’s pg_xlog, so the
replicanever uses archived logs.
A question:
Should I be able to run one more rsync from the master to my replica while it is streaming?
The idea is to overcome the throughput limit imposed by a single recovery process on the replica and allow to catch up
quicker.
I remember doing it many years ago on Pg 8.4, and also heard from other people doing it. In all cases, it seamed
working.
I’m just not sure if there is no high risk of introducing some hidden data corruption, which I may not notice for a
whileon such a huge database.
Any educated opinions on the subject here?

Thank you
Igor Polishchuk