Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning

От: Jeff
Тема: Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Mark Wong, )
 Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Kevin Grittner", )
  Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
   Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Matthew Wakeling, )
    Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
     Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Kevin Grittner", )
      Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz, )
     Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Matthew Wakeling, )
    Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Kevin Grittner", )
   Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Scott Carey, )
   Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Albe Laurenz *EXTERN*", )
    Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Jeff, )
     Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Kevin Grittner", )
  Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Arjen van der Meijden, )
   Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  ("Kevin Grittner", )
 Re: linux deadline i/o elevator tuning  (Mark Wong, )

On Apr 10, 2009, at 2:47 AM, Albe Laurenz *EXTERN* wrote:

> Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
>> acording to kernel folks, anticipatory scheduler is even better for
>> dbs.
>> Oh well, it probably means everyone has to test it on their own at
>> the
>> end of day.
>
> In my test case, noop and deadline performed well, deadline being a
> little
> better than noop.
>
> Both anticipatory and CFQ sucked big time.

This is my experience as well, I posted about playing with the
scheduler a while ago on -performance, but I can't seem to find it.

If you have a halfway OK raid controller, CFQ is useless. You can fire
up something such as pgbench or pgiosim, fire up an iostat and then
watch your iops jump high when you flip to noop or deadline and
plummet on cfq.  Try it. it's neat!

--
Jeff Trout <>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/

Сообщение: Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production
Сообщение: Re: Postgres 8.x on Windows Server in production