Re: Postgresql feature

От Andrew Rawnsley
Тема Re: Postgresql feature
Дата
Re: Postgresql feature  (Adam Ruth <aruth@intercation.com>)
Список pgsql-general
If you use it enough, I think it is inevitable that something,
sometime, somewhere will really honk you
off about Oracle. With the feature bloat they're into these days, very
likely it will be something
you care nothing about that does it, too.

On Aug 18, 2004, at 2:08 PM, Ben wrote:

> Is it just me, or has there been a rash of "I'm thinking about postgres
> and coming from an oracle background" questions recently? Was there
> some
> writeup of postgres in a db rag in the last month or so?
>
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
>
>> Bit more info (from my own findings migrating from Oracle -> Postgres)
>>
>> Sequences - YES
>> Packages - NO (concept doesn't exist in PG)
>> Functions - YES, Procedures - NO (also no INOUT or OUT parameters)
>> Full-text - YES, tSearch2
>> Triggers - YES
>> Jobs - NO, (but scheduled tasks can be implemented in other ways)
>> Synonyms - NO (can be frigged using search_paths and schemas)
>> Replication - more than one option depending on requirement
>>
>> You will miss certain Oracle features, but once you get into the swing
>> of postgres you'll not look back. Also consider how much money you'll
>> save in license fees!
>>
>> John Sidney-Woollett
>>
>> Gaetano Mendola wrote:

>>> 1) Serial, but I don't know the Oracle one...
>>> 2) Schema ?
>>> 3) Yes, functions
>>> 4) tsearch2
>>> 5) Yes
>>> 6) ??
>>> 7) ??
>>> 8) A couple of solutions
>>>

>>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/index.html
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Gaetano Mendola

> ---------------------------(end of
> majordomo@postgresql.org)

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com

Сообщение: Re: Could not create a table named "USER" under postgreSQL
Сообщение: Re: Could not create a table named "USER" under postgreSQL