Re: regression tests fail for different block sizes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: regression tests fail for different block sizes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> In master, 4 tests fail due to plan changes with blocksize 32K. The
> failures started creeping in around 9.0.

AFAIR, that's been true since the dark ages, not since 9.0.

> I don't see a clean way to make the plans consistent with 8K and 32K
> pages, so I was about to write this off as "we don't care much".

Indeed.  There are any number of parameters that you can change that will
break the regression tests by changing plan choices.  If we tried to
cover all such cases we'd end up with lobotomized tests that detect
fewer issues, not more.

> Then I ran with block size 1KB, and I got what appears to be a genuine
> failure related to range types and/or spgist.

This might be worth investigating, but it doesn't mean that we need
automated regression tests covering the case.