Re: remove checkpoint_warning

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: remove checkpoint_warning
Дата
Re: remove checkpoint_warning  (PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig<postgres@cybertec.at>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> the checkpoint_warning feature was added by commit 2986aa6a668bce3cfb836
> in November 2002 when we didn't have any logging of checkpointing at
> all.  I propose to remove it: surely anyone who cares about analyzing
> checkpointing behavior nowadays is using the log_checkpoint feature
> instead, which contains much more detail.  The other one is just noise
> now, and probably ignored amidst the number of other warning traffic.

Hmm, not sure.  ISTM log_checkpoint is oriented to people who know what
they are doing, whereas checkpoint_warning is more targeted to trying
to help people who don't.  Perhaps you could make an argument that
checkpoint_warning is useless because the people whom it's meant to help
won't notice the warning anyway --- but I doubt that it's been
"superseded" by log_checkpoint, because the latter would only be enabled
by people who already have a clue that checkpoint performance is something
to worry about.

Or in short, this may be a fine change to make, but I don't like your
argument for it.