Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
On May 9, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
>> Any time this happens it's generally a nasty surprise for users.
>
> Really?  Running out of work memory is expected on large tables.

I guess I shouldn't complain since I've made some good money fixing
this in the past. And someone has been posting on -performance this
week with what looks like the same issue.

>> It would be nice to throw them an explicit warning that it's
>> occurring.
>
> I think this is a bad idea.  It's furthermore pretty useless in the
> autovacuum world, since no one is likely to see the warning.

Well, it would at least make it into the log file...