Re: 7.1beta4 initdb problem

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 7.1beta4 initdb problem
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Tim Barnard writes:
>> The program '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres' needed by initdb does not
>> belong to PostgreSQL version 7.1beta4. Check your installation.

> Can you run 'sh -x initdb ...' and show me the output?  Some platform
> information would be useful as well.

Ah, I see the problem:

$ bin/postgres -V
postgres (PostgreSQL) 7.1beta4
$ su
Password:
# bin/postgres -V

"root" execution of the PostgreSQL server is not permitted.

The server must be started under an unprivileged userid to prevent
a possible system security compromise. See the INSTALL file for
more information on how to properly start the server.

Probably initdb should have its own check for being run as root;
this seems cleaner than reorganizing the checks in the postgres
executable.