Re: memory bug debugging

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: memory bug debugging
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 01:11:41PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
>> I'm fiddling around with the backend and have created a memory bug. I
>> guess I'm overriding a palloced chunk, but can't figure out where.

> There are some defines (MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING and
> CLOBBER_FREED_MEMORY) which can help find leaks.

Those are on by default if you built with --enable-cassert (which you
should surely always do when testing new backend code).

Best idea that comes to mind is:

(1) make sure you have a reproducible scenario in which the clobber
always happens at the same physical location.  (This shouldn't be too
hard if you start a fresh backend for each trial.)

(2) run it under gdb and set a hardware watchpoint at that location.

You'll get some false matches from touches in the aset.c code, but
hopefully not too many.  The first breakpoint outside aset.c is your
problem.