Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 9.2beta1, parallel queries, ReleasePredicateLocks, CheckForSerializableConflictIn in the oprofile
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Another thought is that if the problem is limited to the root index
> block, then we could consider less general solutions, like allowing
> backends to cache the root index block and sending some kind of
> invalidation when it gets split.

Possibly worth noting here that we already do exactly that for btree
metapages.  However, I believe that case is a bit different, in that
using slightly stale metapage data is nonfatal.  Also, anything like
this can be a win only if the cached data can be expected to have pretty
long lifetime; so you would not want to cache the root page until the
index had gotten large enough that root page changes were infrequent.
Not sure how that could be mechanized ...