Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 01:08, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wouldn't mind seeing a "core marketing" team evolve to parallel the
>> existing "core technical" team.

> This overlooks the fact that you can't earn credibility with some of our
> community unless you hack on the back-end.

That is the standard way to earn *technical* credibility in this
community, sure.  What I'm suggesting is that credibility in the
advocacy/marketing area is a different currency.  I still think
you have to earn the respect of your peers by hard work, but exactly
what that work is is quite different.  Being a geek with no clue
about marketing, I don't actually know how one would go about building
a reputation in this area.  I do know that having the technical core
team bless your efforts won't create any credibility of that kind,
because we have none to give.

> The uproar over the 7.3 press
> release was a fine example of what happens when the "advocacy" guys try
> to make a change to something non-technical that the "technical" guys
> don't approve of.

AFAIR people didn't have a problem with the press release as press
release, they just said that what *they* wanted to read was a more
technically oriented document, and they were bemoaning the lack of one.