Re: Select into

От Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis
Тема Re: Select into
Дата
Re: Select into
Список pgsql-sql
HI Gurjeet,

You're right.

But what information do you need to know?

The copy is inside the same table, so I don't understand why it (the required query ) would require any joins.

Ie. I want to copy the contents of a row (but for the id column - of course) into a record in the same table.

I am happy enough to give you a table schema, if that's required... but I just don't see why it would be needed - but of course am happy to be told something new!

Thanks again.

Gavin Baumanis

On 20/03/2008, at 9:58 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM, A. Kretschmer <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
am  Thu, dem 20.03.2008, um 20:57:53 +1100 mailte Gavin 'Beau' Baumanis folgendes:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have asked our DBA at work and h is not too sure either... so I
> thought it best to on the list.
>
> Basically, what I am after is a way to copy the contents of one record
> into another.
> Something like select into; but where the destination record already
> exists, as opposed to creating a new record.

insert into <table> select from <table> where ...

He specifically asked for

<snip>

where the destination record already
exists, as opposed to creating a new record.

</snip>

    I think an UPDATE with joins would be helpful. Though, it may become lengthy if the tables have too many columns.

    Can you post your exact requirement?

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

17° 29' 34.37"N, 78° 30' 59.76"E - Hyderabad *
18° 32' 57.25"N, 73° 56' 25.42"E - Pune
37° 47' 19.72"N, 122° 24' 1.69" W - San Francisco

http://gurjeet.frihost.net

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device