Re: Windows buildfarm failures

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Windows buildfarm failures
Дата
Re: Windows buildfarm failures  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Now, if some Windows-enabled person could step forward so that we can
> suggest some tests to run, that would be great.  Perhaps the solution to
> the problem is to relax the conditions a little, so that two scans are
> accepted on that table instead of only one; but it would be good to
> confirm whether the stat system is really working and it's really still
> counting stuff as it's supposed to do.

No, you misread it: the check is for at least one new event, not exactly
one.

We've been seeing this intermittently for a long time, but it sure seems
that autovac has raised the probability greatly.  That's pretty odd.
If it's a timing thing, why are all and only the Windows machines
affected?  Could it be that autovac is sucking all the spare cycles
and keeping the stats collector from running?  (Does autovac use
vacuum_cost_delay by default?  It probably should if not.)

I noticed today on my own machine several strange pauses while running
the serial regression tests --- the machine didn't seem to be hitting
the disk nor sucking lots of CPU, it just sat there for several seconds
and then picked up again.  I wonder if that's related.  It sure seems it
must be due to autovac being on now.