Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?

От Devrim Gündüz
Тема Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
Дата
Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-pkg-yum
Hi,

On Thu, 2019-12-19 at 12:58 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> It's not clear why the initdb wrapper for the rpm packages defaults to
> generating 'host' entries with 'ident' auth,

Historical reasons, like at least 15 years or more.

> but I think it's pretty unhelpful. At least if we used 'md5' the user could
> set passwords and have them actually work.

IMHO the only alternative could be "trust", because I am not holding my breath
for the majority of our users to be able to setup a password that easily
(yeah). I'm also not inclined to setup a default password for RPM installations
(and also RPMs must not do any interactive work, like asking for a password)

Regards,
--
Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?
Сообщение: Re: Can we stop defaulting to 'ident'?