От Drouvot, Bertrand
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 8/14/23 11:52 AM, shveta malik wrote:

> We (myself and Ajin) performed the tests to compute the lag in standby
> slots as compared to primary slots with different number of slot-sync
> workers configured.

Thanks!

> 3 DBs were created, each with 30 tables and each table having one
> logical-pub/sub configured. So this made a total of 90 logical
> replication slots to be synced. Then the workload was run for aprox 10
> mins. During this workload, at regular intervals, primary and standby
> slots' lsns were captured (from pg_replication_slots) and compared. At
> each capture, the intent was to know how much is each standby's slot
> lagging behind corresponding primary's slot by taking the distance
> between confirmed_flush_lsn of primary and standby slot. Then we took
> the average (integer value) of this distance over the span of 10 min
> workload

Thanks for the explanations, make sense to me.

> and this is what we got:
>
> With max_slot_sync_workers=1, average-lag =  42290.3563
> With max_slot_sync_workers=2, average-lag =  24585.1421
> With max_slot_sync_workers=3, average-lag =  14964.9215
>
> This shows that more workers have better chances to keep logical
> replication slots in sync for this case.

Agree.

> Another statistics if it interests you is, we ran a frequency test as
> well (this by changing code, unit test sort of) to figure out the
> 'total number of times synchronization done' with different number of
> sync-slots workers configured. Same 3 DBs setup with each DB having 30
> logical replication slots. With 'max_slot_sync_workers' set at 1, 2
> and 3; total number of times synchronization done was 15874, 20205 and
> 23414 respectively. Note: this is not on the same machine where we
> captured lsn-gap data, it is on  a little less efficient machine but
> gives almost the same picture
>
> Next we are planning to capture this data for a lesser number of slots
> like 10,30,50 etc. It may happen that the benefit of multi-workers
> over single workers in such cases could be less, but let's have the
> data to verify that.

Thanks a lot for those numbers and for the testing!

Do you think it would make sense to also get the number of using
the pg_failover_slots module? (and compare the pg_failover_slots numbers with the
"one worker" case here). Idea is to check if the patch does introduce
some overhead as compare to pg_failover_slots.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team