Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Initdb failure with PG 7.1.3 on RH 7.1...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Paul Stavrides <pstav123@adelie.net> writes:
> Initdb is failing most of the time on RH 7.1.

Very strange, considering that lots of other people build successfully
on the same platform.  I've got to think there is something odd about
your local setup.

> ... I am installing from sources since I need long
> field names have have to change postgres_ext.h to accept longer field
> names.

You did edit NAMEDATALEN *before* you compiled anything, right?  After
you've changed it, you'd probably need a "make clean" before rebuilding.
Also, what did you set it to?

> If I turn on logging in postgres, I get the following log file:

> DEBUG:  database system was shut down at 2001-11-29 17:02:43 EST
> DEBUG:  CheckPoint record at (0, 136)
> DEBUG:  Redo record at (0, 136); Undo record at (0, 0); Shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG:  NextTransactionId: 514; NextOid: 16384
> DEBUG:  database system is in production state
> DEBUG:  connection: host=(null) user=postgres database=template1
> DEBUG:  InitPostgres
> FATAL 1:  cannot open /usr/local/pgsql/data/global/1262: No such file or
> directory   <-- ?? !
> FindExec: found "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
> DEBUG:  proc_exit(1)
> DEBUG:  shmem_exit(1)
> DEBUG:  shutting down
> DEBUG:  database system is shut down
> DEBUG:  exit(1)

Most peculiar.  .../1262 would be pg_database, which certainly ought to
exist.  If you run initdb with --noclean, is that file present after the
failure?  Permissions and so forth look reasonable?  What's its size?