Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
pgsql@mohawksoft.com writes:
> Might it be possible to contact IBM directly and ask if they will allow
> usage of the patent for PostgreSQL. They've let 500 patents for open
> source, maybe they'll give a write off for this as well.

If there were hard evidence that the ARC algorithm was far better than
the alternatives, it might be worth going in that direction.  But there
is no such evidence.  Jan has retracted his original opinion that the
ARC code is a big improvement over what we had before, and I haven't
seen anyone else putting up benchmark numbers that say we need to keep
ARC.